About the event
What is March On with Soldier On?
March On with Soldier On is an online fundraising campaign which pays tribute to the sacrifices made by our brave soldiers in Kokoda in World War II.
When is it held?
From the 1st to the 31st of March 2021
What do I need to do?
Simply sign up and walk or run 96km throughout the month of March, the length of the Kokoda Track, and raise funds for Soldier On to help prevent veteran suicide.
How do I sign up?
Easy. Just click register at the top right-hand corner and select which challenge you want to take part on.
Is there a registration fee?
- If you are taking part in the Pinnacle or Mountain Challenge, there will be a deposit that you will need to pay during the registration process to secure your spot on the trek. The outstanding balance will need to be paid closer to departure date.
- If you are signing up for our third option, where you choose your own challenge, then it is completely free to take part.
Do I need to already be fit to take part?
Absolutely not. People from all walks of life are welcome to take part. We have people who have done hardly any exercise at all right through the most seasoned athletes taking part in March On. In fact, it is the perfect thing to help you start a healthy active lifestyle.
How do I log my activity?
Logging your activity show your donors you are “walking the walk”. You can log your kilometers in two ways:
- Link your page to a fitness tracker or app - we are linked to FitBit, mapmyfitness and Strava to automatically sync with your fundraising page and add to your kilometre tracker each time you record an activity (Please allow 24 hours for your activity to show up on your fundraising page); or
- Log your steps manually - simply login to your online fundraising page and head to the ‘My Fitness Activity’ to record your activity.
Even better – you can live stream your workouts and have your supporters watch where your adventures take you.
Can I ask people to join me by forming a team?
Absolutely! The more the merrier. You can ask friends and family to join you or even create teams at your workplace and have some friendly competition between different office departments.
How do I create a team?
Just click the ‘Sign Up’ button and when you get to ‘Create Your Page’, you will be asked if you’d like to create a team or join a team.
Who do I contact if I have problems with my fundraising page?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 02 6188 6117 and we will respond within 2 business days.
Where does the money that is raised go?
Every dollar raised will directly go to services that Soldier On provides to our current and ex-service personnel and their families and help prevent veteran suicide.
To find our more about the vital services that Soldier On provides, please visit soldieron.org.au/how-we-help/
Does Soldier On help with my fundraising?
We sure do. We will be sending you tips and hints along the way, giving you some ideas on how to get creative to reach your target. We have even created specific fundraising resources that you can access when logged into your Dashboard for you to use when asking for donations from your networks. Even better, you can earn free sports gear if you are one of the first to reach certain fundraising milestones.
Will my sponsor receive a tax-deductible receipt for their donation?
Yes, any donation above $2 is tax deductible. At the time of submitting their online donation, an automatic receipt will be emailed to your sponsors.
Can I start fundraising before March?
Absolutely! You can start fundraising from the day you sign up. In fact, the more you fundraise before the start of March, the more you can focus of smashing your goal of reaching 96km.
Added bonus: if you are one of the first to reach your fundraising milestones, you will receive free March On gear that you can actually wear in March while out on your walks or runs.
How do I bank any offline money I raise so it shows up on my fundraising page?
The easiest way is to do this is to make an online donation to your own fundraising page using your credit card. The total amount will then show up on your page.
How do I change my fundraising target?
Log in to your Dashboard and click on ‘Edit my page’ and update your fundraising goal.
I’d like to take part in the Pinnacle or Mountain option
Can I fundraise to cover my travel costs?
We strongly discourage this. However, if you do choose to do this, there are some points you will need to consider:
- This must be done independently to your fundraising page. Any donations that are made on your fundraising page on the March On with Soldier On platform will come to directly to Soldier On, meaning we cannot redirect the funds to your account for you to use to pay for your out of pocket expenses.
- You must make it clear to your donors that their donation will not be going to Soldier On, but will be going towards your own travel costs, which will in turn enable you to take part in the challenge and then fundraise for Soldier On.
- Your donors will not be able to receive a tax-deductible receipt for their donation towards your travel costs as these funds will not be received by Soldier On. Only funds donated to Soldier On are eligible for a tax-deductible receipt.
- You must not use any Soldier On branding, logos, trademarks or other identifiable Soldier On items in the promotion of raising funds for your travel costs.
What if I don’t reach my fundraising target before my departure date?
No problem. Sometimes, uploading pics of your adventure during or just after taking part can even encourage more donations and help you come closer to smashing your fundraising goal.
Will COVID-19 have an impact on being able to take part?
Due to the unprecedented nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, there is no way of knowing how travel to PNG and your participation in the Kokoda trek may be impacted at the time of the scheduled trek date. For this reason, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the March On Pinnacle Challenge for 2021. You have the option to join the March On with Soldier On - Mountain Challenge (Ten Aussie Summits) if state border restrictions are not enforced at the time.
However, we will keep you closely informed of any updates on COVID-19 and any implications this may place on the varying challenges. We also encourage you to express your interest now for when we run the Pinnacle Challenge in 2022.